Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I'm an Auntie!

I am "Aunt B" to 2 nephews, 2 nieces, and 1 baby yet to be born. I have loved being an aunt for almost 16 years. But today I earned a title from 60 children that has changed me forever. I became an "Auntie". The kids at the slum school call the teachers Auntie. It's hard to put into words what I saw today. Those kids have left me speechless. The slum that we walked through was the most eye-opening sight I have ever seen. 

We taught letters, math, hygiene, and played games in the morning. In the afternoon we met the girls that are being taught sewing skills on sewing machines donated by Kingsland. It was a wonderful day. The pastor and his wife that run the school are AMAZING. 

The highlight of the day came from a young girl that was coloring a worksheet with me. She flipped her paper over and wrote her "non" (name). I pointed at her and then pointed at me and wrote and said my name. Then she said my name and we giggled and high-fived. Then I drew a picture of a heart and she said "love". I did the same thing with the word "Jesus". She was a great reader and could read anything and definitely recognized the name Jesus. Then she took the crayon and paper from me and wrote something next to her name, my name, and Jesus. 

What did she add to the paper after those 3 names?  = LOVE

My heart is full. 

1 comment:

  1. That is so touching! You are an excellent teacher! Stay safe and blessed:)

    ReplyDelete