Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Dubai to Kolkata

From Dubai to Kolkata....
Longest. Flight. Ever. Not sure if it's because I'm totally exhausted, the anticipation of literally hitting the ground running, or (insert a 3rd possible reason...come up with your own...too tired to think straight). I haven't been able to sleep. NOT ONE BIT. What the heck is that about?!? It's technically 8 pm my time, so I've been awake for 19 hours. Lord give me strength for today!

Our 1st flight from Houston-Dubai = 14 hours
Dubai layover = 8 hours
Our 2nd flight from Dubai - Kolkata = 5 hours
Add up all those things and you get 12 loopy women that will laugh at any joke (no matter how stupid or sophomoric)!  God has put together a perfect team for His trip. So many different gifts and talents in 12 unique personalities!  On a side note I had typed "this trip" but inadvertently left off the "t". That's okay.....it's really HIS trip anyway. I'm just a vessel. Pour me out, Lord!  I wanna leave it ALL in India!

Today will be a busy day. We will arrive around 9 a.m. Kolkata time with a FULL day planned.  We will navigate the Kolkata airport, head to the guest house that we will call home for the next 10 days, and then head out for a few supplies that wouldn't have packed well in a suitcase. Another important item on the agenda for today is to visit Mother Theresa's Home.

We are all looking forward to seeing a familiar face at the Kolkata airport.....Pastor Omar will help the 12 of us and our 42 bags to load up in vans and head to the guesthouse. I'm sure the husbands will be happy to hear that we will have an extra pair of eyes and ears at the Kolkata airport. Having never been there I can only attest to the fact that others have had a hard time describing it, only saying that it is crazy, confusing, packed, little, and nothing like an American airport. It was not in the original plan for O to be there to greet us but I am so grateful that he will be there. I have a lot of respect for Omar. Who DOESN'T want to be him when they grow up?!?

Gotta run!  We are landing in 30 minutes!  Oops spoke too soon. Pilot just came on the PA to announce that at 50 meters visibility and foggy, we will be circling for quite awhile waiting for conditions to improve.

P.S.  Lauren and I have been reading Kisses From Katie (thanks, Mom!) and I was moved by something I read on the flight:
"My candle is lit; I am on fire for God, for this place, for these people. My purpose here is to spread His light. One candle can light up an entire room. Jesus can light up this entire nation, and my flame can be a part of that. I am blown away that my God, who could do this all by Himself, would choose to let ME be a little part of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment