Monday, January 2, 2012

Almost There!

We have arrived safely in Dubai.  The Houston-Dubai leg went very well on the plane but man it was a really long 14 hours!  That is a long time to be in an airplane chair.  Thank you all so much for praying for travel mercies and safe flights.  So far everything seems to be going very well. Our fearless leader and friend even received a free bump up to Business Class. She has worked so hard to put this trip together so I'm glad she was blessed with a bonus.

We are here in the Dubai airport for the next eight hours.  We fly out at 3 am Dubai time. A very gracious KBC member donated money for us to stay at Marhaba, which is a fancy lounge here at the Dubai airport.  It's been so nice to hang out in our own private "cabana" complete with WiFi, free food and drink, and clean restrooms. It's been great!  We've all been able to check email, update blogs, post to Facebook, and FaceTime with our kids. We are being well taken care of by the staff.  Some of the ladies are downstairs shopping, some are sleeping, and some of us are just hangin' out and getting to know each other better. If you are the one that donated, THANK YOU!

A few things that I have found interesting about the Dubai airport:
-What a melting pot of religions and cultures!  I have seen so many skin shades and heard so many languages spoken here. It's been really cool!  Red and yellow, black and white...they are PRECIOUS in His sight.
-As we were walking down the mall a weird singing came over the loudspeakers. It took me a minute to realize that it was a prayer/song. Felt kinda eerie. I took a video so you could all hear the audio. I will check to see if I can find a way to post audio.
-There were several women that were COMPLETELY covered (excepted for their eyes) during the 14 hour flight. The weird part is when I realized that they are unable to convey basic human emotion....joy, sadness, weariness, excitement...that just really struck me. As I was waiting in the restroom line on the plane a woman walked up to get in line behind me. She had a little boy around 3 years old with her that obviously needed to go really badly. I said, "Please, go ahead of me. I have kids and know what travel is like when they're little!" She quietly whispered, "thank you" but was unable to truly exhibit thankfulness because I obviously couldn't read her facial expression. I'm sure she was smiling and she was grateful but I felt oppressed for her.

I feel so blessed to be here. When I think too hard about all of this I get overwhelmed!  God clearly has His hand in all of this.

I will try to update again when we land in Kolkata!

No comments:

Post a Comment